[TriLUG] Re: Managed languages (was .NET development on Linux)

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Sat Jun 19 03:20:21 EDT 2004

Aaron Bockover said the following on 6/17/04 12:00 PM:

> I love my pointers! Memory management is a fun thing for me... I like
> working closer to the system, and some things are just better done under
> C. Now, I also do like the concept of OO... but I don't like C++,
> because it OO just doesn't seem to be implemented properly in the
> language, and it's built on C... it's just messy. I can't stand Java,

It's not messy, and it's not just an OO language.  That's one of the
worst misconceptions about C++.  It's a multi-paradigm language and
when you learn how to use the various paradigms it makes going to
any other single-paradigm language painful.

And, doing object oriented programming in C (like certain libraries/
environments do) is like trying to build a house using only a hammer
and nails.  Sure, you can probably do it, but why subject yourself
to that much pain an suffering? :)

Cheers,
Tanner