[TriLUG] Re: Managed languages (was .NET development on Linux)

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Sat Jun 19 19:41:33 EDT 2004

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> I was right there with you until you mentioned "auto_ptr".
> auto_ptr is the worst example of a "smart pointer" there is.
> If you want to see a decent smart pointer go to the
> Boost Library (http://www.boost.org/) and look at some
> of the ones there which are much more useful than auto_ptr.

True.. I was just trying to make the overall point that
there were such a thing as smart pointers, and that there
was an alternative to manual memory management in C++.
I really didn't mean to imply anything specific (one way
or the other) about class auto_ptr specifically.

One other thing, Tanner.. in one of your earlier
messages you mentioned not being able to swap
out garbage collectors in some languages... You
may (probably?) already know this, but in the newer (Sun)
JVM's, you can swap out garbage collection algorithms
using a command line switch.  So in defense of Java,
there is some ability to easily work with GC optimizations...

TTYL,

Phil

--
When the 1st Amendment no longer protects your voice.
And when the 4th Amendment no longer protects your privacy or your stuff.

FREE AMERICA
Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org