[TriLUG] asterisk meeting last saturday

William Schulz sws at trilug.org
Tue Jun 22 17:07:35 EDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 04:31:06PM -0400, Dave Sorenson wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Ma Bell have to leave 911 up on a
> disconnected line by law? I moved into my apartment and there was a dial
> tone, when I asked about it Bellsouth told me that story.

That's correct... so unless the line is physically cut, you'll have 911
service on that line, and with an FXO card, you can route 911 to that
line, even if there is no other service.

Of course, several of the VoIP providers are working on other solutions
as well.

> What's to stop you from killing your POTS line, letting it revert back to
> the default 911, get cable for IP connectivity and voip?

Hopefully, not a darn thing... but I'll let you know in a month or so :)

SWS