[TriLUG] Wifi card weirdness

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Jun 24 08:05:24 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 17:22, Frye, Matthew wrote:
> For reasons that are too complicated to explain, I reloaded Fedora Core 1 on
> my laptop last week.  Now, when it tries to activate eth0 (my Cisco Aironet
> 350), it fails.  Dhclient says no offers received and iwconfig can't seem to
> associate that interface with any access point (it reads FF:FF:FF:FF:FF for
> the ap mac address, give or take an FF:).
>
> The card can work.  I know this because I can assign it a static address and
> if I write the /etc/resolv.conf and setup a default route, I can get to the
> internet, etc.  Does this sound familiar?  Is dhclient hosed?  Is it my
> card's driver?  I know that the system attempts to bring up eth0 before
> cardctl even sees the card, and that doesn't make much sense, but I don't
> remember it being different before.  Any clues would be appreciated.
>
> Matt

I've had a lot of trouble with getting DHCP via WiFi on some of my
setups. Using a Linksys WRV54G Wireless Router I can get DHCP in seconds
to anything directly connected, but it can take 5 minutes (or never
happen) to get DHCP out to a device connected wirelessly.

Connect the same device directly, and BOOM its up and running. Give it a
static IP and run it wirelessly, and all works fine.  It's just the DHCP
broadcast that doesn't work well (if at all).

Let me know if you find a nice solution.

Jon Carnes