[TriLUG] debian exim4 + courier-imap: can read & receive but not send

Mike Fieschko mike.fieschko at verizon.net
Thu Jun 24 23:35:49 EDT 2004

I have a domain running debian with exim4, courier-imap, courier-imap-ssl.

I can connect to my ~/Maildir to read mail. Sending to my domain from outside my domain works fine, as does sending from my domain from the command line (both to my domain and to other domains).

But ... when I'm at my desktop (dsl connection from verizon.net) and want to send from my desktop through my domain, in sylpheed I get 'relaying not permitted' (kmail on my desktop doesn't permit me to send from/through my domain either). (Again, I can read my ~/Maildir from outside my domain.) I'm connecting to imap on my domain but can't send.

(I checked the postfix info log on my gateway here at home, and the mails I am having trouble with aren't going through postfix.)

I think there's some conf file(s) for exim4 or for courier which I need to vi to allow relaying by myself, but I haven't been able to pin down which file.  googled and googled groups.google.com, and looked at a couple of exim + courier sites, but without success. This exim4 setup is the one with the 'numerous' (hah) files under conf.d/

Anyone have a clue for me which conf file I need to change?

this sending works:

desktop --> mydomainmydomain --> desktop
mydomain --> other domains

this doesn't work:

desktop -- [mydomain] --> other domains

Sorry for the verbiage, but I wanted to be as clear as I could be.

TIA