[TriLUG] VoIP SIP MODEM?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 25 20:34:43 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 17:55, Greg Brown wrote:
>   I have packet8 service here at the house.  The Packet8 service has a
> small
> hardware component - basically POTS in and ethernet out.  When I need to
> dial out to, say, fax or dial into a distant server I just plug the 56k
> modem
> directly into the VoIP Packet8 adapter and it works great.
>
> Greg

Yep. As Steve said, it uses the G7.11 codec to send the squeaks and
squawks of the modem noises.  This works fairly well for Faxes as well.
Of course you need the hardware of the modem to actually turn your data
into those squeaks and squawks... which then get converted to UDP
packets and sent over the internet as data. Steve would like there to be
a software or device driver that makes those UDP packets directly
without having to first create them with a hardware modem (and then have
a "small hardware component" convert it back into data as UDP).

When you think about it, this is a very do-able thing. It just hasn't
been done yet.

Jon Carnes