[TriLUG] help with Bellsouth DSL static IP

Dan trilug at daijin.nulluser.com
Sat Jun 26 09:08:33 EDT 2004

I signed up for the Bellsouth enhanced service that gives me 3Mb down and a
static IP.  I've got the 3Mb but I can't seem to use the static IP.  I
think I know what is wrong but I want to run it by the list because I know
that there are some of you that have this thing working.

I use the Westell Wirespeed DSL modem and a Linksys firewall/router.
Before I got the Westell I had a different modem (that got lightning
fried).  In the original setup, before Westell, the Linksys router did the
authentication with Bellsouth so the router got an external address.  When
the Westell came the instructions were to have _it_ do the authentication
and not the router.  So the Westell is what gets the external IP address.
So I ping my static IP I am pinging the modem and not the router, which
means all of the DMZ Stuff the Linksys offers me is useless because the
external world never hits the router on the static IP...

Any of this make sense?  I hesitate to go back to router authentication
because the connection with the Westell was flaky until I changed.
--
Dan