[TriLUG] help with Bellsouth DSL static IP

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Sat Jun 26 09:49:54 EDT 2004

Dan wrote:

> I signed up for the Bellsouth enhanced service that gives me 3Mb down
> and a static IP.  I've got the 3Mb but I can't seem to use the static
> IP.  I think I know what is wrong but I want to run it by the list
> because I know that there are some of you that have this thing working.
>
> I use the Westell Wirespeed DSL modem and a Linksys firewall/router.
> Before I got the Westell I had a different modem (that got lightning
> fried).  In the original setup, before Westell, the Linksys router did
> the authentication with Bellsouth so the router got an external
> address.  When the Westell came the instructions were to have _it_ do
> the authentication and not the router.  So the Westell is what gets
> the external IP address. So I ping my static IP I am pinging the modem
> and not the router, which means all of the DMZ Stuff the Linksys
> offers me is useless because the external world never hits the router
> on the static IP...
>
> Any of this make sense?  I hesitate to go back to router
> authentication because the connection with the Westell was flaky until
> I changed.

The configuration difference is simple.  The Westel is making a PPPoE
(or PPPoA) connection to BellSouth for you, just as you presumed.  This
is the default setup, and what they suggest, as far as I am aware.  You
may be able to configure the Westel to do RFC 1483 Bridging, and then
your Linksys would need to do PPPoE and it would get your static IP
address and you'd be in business.  I'm not certain if the Westel can do
bridging - it should be able to, but I simply don't have much experience
with it.  Generally the things I know about the Westel is that they
hard-code the firmware with BS-specific settings - specifically the
domain that gets tagged onto your username has to be @bellsouth.net
which locks you into using their BBG service.  We often have to tell
customers switching to us from BellSouth that not only to they *want* to
get a new modem for stability reasons (the Westel is fairly crappy, from
everyone I've ever heard from), but they *have* to because that one has
been built specifically for use only with their service.  The more I
type the more I realize it probably can't be a 1483 bridge or we'd be
able to use it as well.

So, as one solution, you can head over to your local Intrex and pick up
a BestData DSL modem.  The retail cost is $99.99, but don't forget about
your TriLUG discount - details available in the member section
(http://members.trilug.org/benefit_info/).  That modem (which I use at
home myself) is entirely capable of being a bridge so that your Linksys
device can do the PPPoE negotiation and get the IP address you're
looking for.

Best of luck,
Aaron S. Joyner