[TriLUG] FC2, Dovecot, Squirrelmail = Crash

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Sun Jun 27 23:05:06 EDT 2004

> Jason Tower wrote:
>
>>i ran dovecot for a while on my rh9 server, and it would crash from time
>>to time when i accessed my imap folders with kmail.  ever since i
>>switched to courier-imap (on mandrake) it has been flawless.
>>
>>however, i have a client whom i recently (well, eight months ago) set up
>>with makdrake, courier, and squirrelmail.  during the initial
>>migration, one of the users had a couple of large mailboxes (thousands
>>of messages) that would cause squirrelmail to return an out of memory
>>error, even though they worked fine with a standard imap client.  my
>>guess is that squirrelmail is trying to sort all of the messages by
>>name or date or whatever, and hitting a memory wall with apache or php.
>>not being a web guru, that's the best diagnosis i could come up with,
>>and it sounds like what your friend is experiencing too.
>>
> I found out some more details on this earlier today.  It appears that
> PHP runs out of memory when squirrelmail is trying to do a "show all" on
> extremely large folders (on the order of 11,000 messages, for example).

Is Server side sorting on or off?  While turning it off will probably slow
things down, maybe it will save crashing apache.  Personally I am not sure
why I would want to keep 11,000 msgs let alone try to show them all at
once. (yes I know if this is a business it may be necessary)  Maybe they
should learn to search:)