[TriLUG] Is BellSouth DSL service better than Time Warner Cable connection

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Jun 29 05:30:56 EDT 2004

Tayfun Teksoy wrote:

> Is BellSouth DSL service better than Time Warner Internet connection.
> Recently I am experiencing problems with time warner cable modem
> connection.
>
> My connection speed varies between 1000kbps and 300kbps down link,
> 80kbps and 300kbps uplink.
>
> My recent test shows *582**/ 310*kbps.
>
> I am frustrated with inconsistent link speeds,time outs and
> considering to switch to Bell South DSL connection.
>
> Does any one have experience with both and compare the advantages and
> disadvantages of each.

There are numerous advantages, and disadvantages to both, but when it
all boils down in the end, it's largely related to where you live.  Both
on a Macro level, and a Micro level.  If (just for example) you live in
California, comparing experiences with someone in North Carolina would
be useless.  The companies are different, the implementations are
different, virtually nothing is the same.  If you compare with someone
on the other side of Raleigh, the same is true.  It's not unlikely that
they might live in a better or worse area, experience wonderful or
terrible problems based on their distance from the CO, their wiring at
their location, etc.  Most of this holds true for both services, DSL and
Cable.  As Jim alluded to, it often comes down entirely to
implementation.  You can make great service, and terrible service, out
of both technologies.  Having said all that, I personally think that RR
in this area doesn't do a bad job, on the whole.  I don't have their
service any more, so I can't really comment on recent changes.  On the
other hand, I can say that if you live in an area that has bad cable
service (for any of probably a dozen reasons), then your RR service is
likely to be poor, and not very likely to improve.  It's entirely
possible that reterminating your connection, rewiring the coax in your
house, or running a single RG-6 home run for your cable box may help -
and I would suggest all of those things as first-steps.  Calling out a
tech to check the attenuation at your location is also a very good idea
(you need to call RR for this to happen).  If you're still unhappy, it
doesn't hurt to give DSL a try - it sure won't be worse.  :)  Odds are
it will be significantly better.  I usually find that people have
terrible service with one, or the other, rarely with both.

> Is DSL connection Linux friendly, it seem like they do not support
> Linux on their web page.

I can't comment to BellSouth's Linux-friendliness (generally I like to
hope they're not terrible) - but I can comment that Intrex.net is
entirely Linux friendly.  Being the SysAdmin and often the person on the
other end of the phone for DSL setup / advanced troubleshooting, I can
say we're quite happy if you're running Linux.  :)  You can check out
our prices and availability at http://www.intrex.net/dslbs.htm - note
that with BellSouth residential service (and our standard residential
service) your incoming port 25 and 80 will be blocked.  As a special
service to TriLUG members we'll open up all of the ports and give you a
static IP at no extra charge.  If you have any questions about our
service, availability, or comparisons to cable - feel free to give me a
call at the office.

Aaron S. Joyner
System Administrator
Intrex.net Internet Services