[TriLUG] Is BellSouth DSL service better than Time Warner Cable connection

Dan trilug at daijin.nulluser.com
Tue Jun 29 10:56:54 EDT 2004

--On Tuesday, June 29, 2004 10:20:20 AM -0400 Greg Brown
<gregbrown at mindspring.com> wrote:

> This brings up yet another question about Sprint and DSL.  They don't seem
> to offer a layer 2 device like the cable modem companies do, rather a
> router
> which, I imagine, has the publicly routable IP address on the outside
> then it
> probably barfs back private IPs on the "lan" side via DHCP.  Is this how
> the
> system works?  Is the Sprint DSL router pre-configured for NAT?  Which IP
> ranges does it use by default?  Does the Sprint router support more than
> one IP address on the LAN side?  Can the router be configured to pass
> ports
> though the router to a device behind the router (specifically I'm
> thinking of
> ssh here)?
>
> Questions questions.

I'm currently using Bellsouth so I can only speak to them... you get a
modem and the software to install on your PC.  Any router/firewall you use
you buy.. I've used both Netgear and Linksys successfully.  Using them the
answer to all of your questions is basically 'Yes'.

--
Dan