[TriLUG] bulk lan supplies

Keith Johnson kjohnson at northcarolina.edu
Tue Jun 29 13:00:26 EDT 2004

At 11:10 AM 6/29/2004, you wrote:

><snip>
>I need a class in terminating fiber optics.  Multimode as well as
>single mode.  Anyone know a local school that teaches such
>a class?
>
>Greg

Do you already have tools and connectors? If not, a class really isn't
necessary depending on whose product you use. The assembly process is quite
simple these days. There are a few simple tools required (crimper, cleaver,
collar locker) but long gone are the days of using microscopes and
polishing pads etc.  Currently I use Corning's UNICAM connectors with a
Siecor tool set and have not had a single failure during construction or
after -- yet. There's a bit more loss in these connectors because of the
optical gel interface but that extra bit has never gotten in the way of my
loss budgets.

kj