[TriLUG] bulk lan supplies

staylor at openfieldsolutions.com staylor at openfieldsolutions.com
Tue Jun 29 13:15:06 EDT 2004

CSC off of brentwood rd.

Keith Johnson <kjohnson at northcarolina.edu>
Sent by: trilug-bounces at trilug.org
06/29/2004 01:00 PM
Please respond to Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list

        To:     Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list
<trilug at trilug.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [TriLUG] bulk lan supplies

At 11:10 AM 6/29/2004, you wrote:

><snip>
>I need a class in terminating fiber optics.  Multimode as well as
>single mode.  Anyone know a local school that teaches such
>a class?
>
>Greg

Do you already have tools and connectors? If not, a class really isn't
necessary depending on whose product you use. The assembly process is
quite
simple these days. There are a few simple tools required (crimper,
cleaver,
collar locker) but long gone are the days of using microscopes and
polishing pads etc.  Currently I use Corning's UNICAM connectors with a
Siecor tool set and have not had a single failure during construction or
after -- yet. There's a bit more loss in these connectors because of the
optical gel interface but that extra bit has never gotten in the way of my

loss budgets.

kj