fiber optic equipment - was - Re: [TriLUG] bulk lan supplies

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 29 14:35:55 EDT 2004

<snip>. There are a few simple tools required (crimper, cleaver, collar
locker) but long gone are the days of using microscopes and polishing
pads etc.  Currently I use Corning's UNICAM connectors with a Siecor
tool set and have not had a single failure during construction or after
-- yet. There's a bit more loss in these connectors because of the
optical gel interface but that extra bit has never gotten in the way of
my loss budgets.</snip>

Oh thank you Lord!  I can remember the dark ages of microscopes, etc
and really didn't want to get into all that if I didn't have to.  I do
not have my own equipment yet but will be purchasing sometime later
this year.  It's good to hear that the process is a lot easier these
days.

Keith: do you have a model number of sku number for you Siecor tool set
or the Corning connectors?  I'd like to get an idea of what kind of
prices I'm getting into.

Where do you purchase your bulk fiber?

Sometimes nothing beats fiber optics.

Greg