[TriLUG] Dynamic DNS

Rick DeNatale rick at denhaven2.homeip.net
Wed Jun 30 12:18:06 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 22:51 -0500, Michael Sh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Go to http://www.dyndns.org and setup with them, they also have a list of updater applications for most platforms on their site...and you can set a "webhop" as well.
>
> Mike

+1 for dyndns.

I use ddclient on a linux box on my lan to update them.  A few caveats.

1) They require you to update them every 15 days whether your ip changes
or not, or you will lose your registration with them. They also limit
you as to how many unnecessary updates you send.
2) If you are behind a hardware router which claims an internal dyndns
client, it's entirely likely that it doesn't adhere to #1. The dyndns
site, last time I looked, said that there were no hardware routers which
met all of their requirements.

I switched from a router which didn't claim ddclient support to a
Netgear which did claim it when router #1 died. I figured that I'd take
a little bit of load of the linux box and use the Netgear client
instead.  Although I have a dynamic ip address, it tends to be rather
stable. About twenty days after I switched, I got an e-mail from dyndns
saying that I hadn't reported in within 15 days, and was about to lose
my registration. So I switched back to ddclient.