[TriLUG] [OT] adding users to a phpBB system

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Jun 30 16:57:23 EDT 2004

Andrew Perrin wrote:

>If anyone out there has experience running a phpBB discussion board
>system, I could use some help. Specifically, I have a file containing a
>list of people I'd like to add as users to our system. Any idea how to do
>this "en masse"? I assume it involves adding records to one or more of the
>underlying MySQL tables, but haven't found out which ones.
>
>Thanks.

>Andrew J Perrin - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
>Assistant Professor of Sociology, U of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
>clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu

Disclaimer: I have not done this manually myself.  I have some
experience with creating custom plugins that tinker with the database,
and with modifying the underlying DB, but not specifically with adding
users in this way.

 From a cursory memory-refreshing glance over the tables, I would hazard
a guess that you should be able to read them into the phpBB_users table
(name may vary depending on what prefix you chose) with a little bit of
care.  You'll of course need to keep user_id unique, and you will have
to either crypt the passwords before you add them, after you add them,
or change them one-by-one in the web interface.  You can of course set
global preferences this way as well, as most every user-specific setting
is contained there.

As another suggestion, it might be simpler to write a short perl script
which would take your data and manipluate the web front end to do the
inserting.  It's also not beyond the realm of possibility to use the php
functions and create a short page to do bulk adds in the way you
describe.  If I remember correctly the underlying code is pretty
modular, so it might not be too hard to hack that together.  You could
of course use the existing user adding page as a template.  I looked
over the mods section on phpbb.com but didn't find anything like this
unfortunately.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to post them and I'll try
to answer.

Aaron S. Joyner