[TriLUG] Dynamic DNS

Tom Woods tom at familyfunnies.com
Thu Jul 1 11:43:38 EDT 2004

You should wait 24 days to update your IP address if it has not
changed...  Also, you can upgrade your account for $9.95/yr and the 35
day update requirement is removed...  PLUS  you will be supporting a
great service.

 From the dyndns.org FAQ
---------------------------
How often can/should I update my hostname?
A Dynamic DNS hostname only needs to be updated when your IP address has
changed. Any updates more frequently than this - from the same IP
address - will be considered abusive by the update system and may result
in your hostname becoming blocked. Any script which runs periodically
should check to make sure that the IP has actually changed before making
an update, or the host will become blocked. An exception to this is for
users with mostly static IP addresses; you may update 24-35 days after
your previous update with the same IP address to "touch" the record and
prevent it from expiring. Users will receive an e-mail notification if a
host has been unchanged for 30 days, hosts are deleted after 35 days
without being updated unless you've purchased upgrade credit(s).