[TriLUG] DHCP on some distro (was it suse or debian?)

stan briggs stan at StanBriggs.com
Fri Jul 2 08:55:35 EDT 2004

steve,

i believe that would be me. i have not gotten it working completely. i
have found the commands ifup, ifdown, and ifstatus and the configuration
files that seem to interact with the dhcp client service. the commands
get all of the information that the client service needs from the dhcp
server. it just doesn't do anything with the information after getting
it. 'ifstatus eth0' shows all of the parameters that one would expect to
get from the dhcp server. the file that contains the values gets a new
date-time stamp each time that i ifdown and ifup eth0 so i really do
believe that the client service is getting new values. the only(!)
parameter that gets set is the ip address (and netmask). no gateway. no
dns. no domain name. nothing else.

what's been your experience and does anyone out there have any idea why
a dhcp client service would receive these values and do nothing with it?

thanks,
stan