[TriLUG] Server Oddness

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Jul 2 11:33:49 EDT 2004

Nathan Conrad wrote:

><beginning snipped>
>From my experience, hangs like this are usually due to bad hardware. I
>don't know why anyone putting a rootkit on your computer would want to
>crash it, unless it was written for a different kernel and caused your
>kernel to crash?
>
>-Nathan

Generally, people who are trying to rootkit your computer aren't smart
enough to check the kernel version ahead of time.  :)  There are of
course exceptions to the rule, but generally it's just script kiddies
playing around, and they often can cause wierd problems, disruptions of
service, complete crashes, etc.  On the other hand, unless you've been
neglecting security updates on the box, that really isn't the most
likely scenario.  It's far more likely to see problems with aging
hardware, etc.  Is this by chance a dual-processor P2-era Celeron
machine?  If it's Pentium1-3 era, does it have bad capacitors on the
motherboard?  (look for round cylinders that appear to be leaking fluid
or bubbled up on top, at the top-left side of the motherboard, near the
CPU and PS/2 prots)  Any of these types of hardware problems (or dozens
of others) are (I'd guess) much more likely than crackers banging on
your door.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner