[TriLUG] Server Oddness

Jason Purdy jason at journalistic.com
Fri Jul 2 11:59:22 EDT 2004

Aaron S. Joyner wrote:

[snip]
> likely scenario.  It's far more likely to see problems with aging
> hardware, etc.  Is this by chance a dual-processor P2-era Celeron
> machine?  If it's Pentium1-3 era, does it have bad capacitors on the
> motherboard?  (look for round cylinders that appear to be leaking fluid
> or bubbled up on top, at the top-left side of the motherboard, near the
> CPU and PS/2 prots)  Any of these types of hardware problems (or dozens
> of others) are (I'd guess) much more likely than crackers banging on
> your door.  :)

I hope not -- I got the server from Intrex about a year ago (d'oh --
just pulled out the receipt and wouldn't you know it?  June 23rd, just
after the 1 year free labor/parts warranty ;)).  It's a single Celeron
1.7GHz processor with 1G DDR PC2700 RAM and a generic 80GB 7200 HD, all
in a 4U case.

Jason