[TriLUG] Another Stupid Sendmail Trick?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Tue Jul 6 09:06:27 EDT 2004

Hi List,
  I want to run this by the list before I just try it, since it involves
production equipment, so there's not much room for trial-and-error.
  The third-party hosting package my company is using is a sort of "we give
you the tools and you do it yourself" service package, so I have full access
to sendmail.cf M4 tools.
  What I want to do is have all mail @strutmasters.com still go to our 3-rd
party host, then be automatically relayed to our in-house server for spam
filtering, etc.
  I've heard plenty of talk on this list about using smart-relays when
you're on residential broadband service and ports are blocked, etc.  So I
thought, hmm, if I just tell our third-party to use our in-house server as a
smart-relay, it should work!
  But before I Just Do It, I wanted to see if any of the experts out there
on the list had any warnings for me to heed.  Also I thought I would ask if
there's a way to smart-relay only the mail @ a certain domain (i.e.
smart-relay @strutmasters.com to us, but not anything else; that way I can
smart-relay our outbound mail back through the same server without creating
an endless loop, thereby avoiding possible problems with our lack of
reverse-DNS [our ISP refuses to provide this service, and our registrar
insists that it's the ISP's jurisdiction --- Aaron, expect an e-mail from me
off-list about Intrex's DSL services..])

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
~Brian

Brian A. Henning