[TriLUG] [Trilug-announce] July TriLUG meeting: SGI and Linux

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Tue Jul 6 22:41:31 EDT 2004

The July meeting of the Triangle Linux Users Group will be Thursday the
8th at 7:00 PM in Dreyfus Auditorium on the RTI campus in RTP. SGI will
be discussing Linux today, and visualization offerings for Linux. They
will also show off a SGI Altix 350. The SGI representatives will be John
Gorski, lead Systems Engineer, Ben Griffith, Navy Rep, and Scott Welch,
Sciences Rep with others tentatively scheduled. As customary, pizza and
soft drinks will be provided. The meeting is free and open to the public.

Regarding the above mentioned meeting, the following conversation could
have occurred at some time in the near past, or could happen sometime in
the immediate future:

Geek 1:	I've heard there's a TriLUG meeting this week.
Geek 2: What's the topic?
Geek 1: SGI will be discussing the state of Linux and visualization
offerings for Linux.  They will also be showing off a SGI Altix 350.
Geek 1: Who's presenting?
Geek 2: John Gorski, Lead Systems Engineer, Ben Griffith, Navy Rep, and
Scott Welch, Sciences Rep and perhaps others.
Geek 2:	Where?
Geek 1:	Dreyfus
Geek 2: Where's that?
Geek 1:	In RTP on the RTI campus.
Geek 2:	I've never been there before/I just moved from Mongolia, where
is that?
Geek 1:	See http://www.trilug.org/dreyfus_directions.php
Geek 2:	Date?
Geek 1: I'd rather not discuss my personal life with you./I'm married
remember?
Geek 2: No, date?
Geek 1: Thursday
Geek 2: Not date +%A, date?
Geek 1: Thu Jul  8 19:00:00 EDT 2004
Geek 2: What time should I show up?
Geek 1: Well, the doors don't open until 6:30 PM.
Geek 2: So, what time should I show up?
Geek 1: Depends on whether you want a seat in a chair or on a counter.
Of course you could always BYOC  ;-P
Geek 2: What's BYOC?
Geek 1: Bring your *own* chair.  Also comes in handy for any parking lot
mingling that may transpire, and being a magnet for the snickering and
goading that will occur.
Geek 2: Will there be food?
Geek 1: Of course!  Pizza and drinks.
Geek 2: How much will it cost?
Geek 1: It's free!  However donations are encouraged and tax deductible.
Geek 2: cool
Geek 1: yeah
Geek 2: Well, I gotta go, one of my users has just deleted his Power
Point presentation.
Geek 1: Yeah, me too: I gotta head down to the Toshi Station to pick up
some power converters.
Geek 2: What?
Geek 1: Oh, sorry.  I meant to Intrex to pick up a power supply.
Doesn't have quite the same ring, does it.