[TriLUG] back to barcodes

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 7 21:02:59 EDT 2004

Okay, I'm going to bid on building a new system for a company and
everything revolves around barcodes.  The system is going to be a
standard Linux, Apache, MySql, PHP/Perl installation.  The system is
going to have to, along with a ton of other stuff, print barcode labels
(seven per page) onto smeadsoftware.com ColorBar Laser Label print
paper (part number CB-170078, for anyone that cares).  At any rate the
actual printer is a Textronix Phaser 350 color printer.

Linuxprinting.org indicates this printer will work with Linux though I
didn't see this printer defined in CUPS.  The printer does, however,
support postscript so there may be some way to print this data.. right?

Tonight I'm going to take a picture of the actual barcode printout
sample to see if anyone thinks this might be possible.  Creating a PDF
file with all the colors and barcodes would be ideal as the PDF file
could be stored after it was first printed... but that's a whole other
thing.  I'll take the output printed any way I can.  I just need to add
accountability into the whole process (i.e. who printed the labels at
what time... things like that).

Oh, has anyone used Linux along with a PSC QS6000 Plus barcode scanner?
  I have done some google queries and have not found Linux support for
this device.  Any suggestions or pointers?

Once I get the photo of the actual barcodes uploaded I'd appreciate any
thoughts that may help this process along.

In the weeds and over my head once again but wouldn't have it any other
way,

Greg

Have I said TriLUG rocks lately?  If not, it does.