[TriLUG] looking to justify apache

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Jul 8 10:07:38 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 09:44, Lee wrote:
> How about 8 years of market leadership and 67% market ownership in July
> 2004?
> http://tinyurl.com/3cksw
> http://tinyurl.com/36886

I think a fair criticism of market "ownership" figures such as in those
articles, or on the Netcraft site, is that there are thousands of Apache
servers on the 'Net that get very few hits.  Home users tend to use
Apache on vanity domains that mean very little in terms of overall
traffic.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of actual web *hits* on the
various server platforms.  Obviously these numbers are much more
difficult to come by, since they can't be retrieved automatically in the
fashion of the Netcraft survey.  But this might paint a fairer picture
of how much of the Internet is "run" by various servers.

--Jeremy