[TriLUG] PHP.... #@#@$!!

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 8 16:12:01 EDT 2004

Okay.  I'm getting somewhere with this PHP and barcode thing.  The PHP
barcode thing needs GD.  No big deal.  After MUCH searching all over
the Internet, reading this and that, it appears that PHP simply needs
to be recompiled with --enable-gd (according to
http://www.boutell.com/gd/phppatch.html).

I've got zlib, gd, and gd-devel on here already, you'd think that would
be enough.

Anyway, I'm currently running PHP-4.3.2-11.ent from WBEL yum archive.
I download PHP-4-3.7 untar it, cd into the directory and run:

./configure --with-mysql --enable-gd --with-zlib-dir=/usr/include

It complies without error.

next I run make

It runs with no problems.

Then I run su -c 'make install'

That runs without error.  Now I do a 'service httpd restart' and do a
quick phpinfo() and I get that I'm still running 4.3.2 (and gd still
doesn't work too boot).

Okay, so I'm missing something really, really basic.  But what?  I'm
pouring over webpages and nothing is jumping out at me, though I have
to admit at this point I'm quite frustrated and I'm going to walk away
from the problem for a bit to see if the solution divines itself to me
in some fashion.

Or if you know.. I'd love to hear it.  For the record 'rpm -qa | grep
php' still says I'm running php-4.3.2-11.ent.  Should I remove all old
phps before installing a new one?  That step seems redundant, and the
webpage didn't mention that I should do that.

Frustrated.

Ugh.

Greg