[TriLUG] help setting up Nextel BPL modem under Linux

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Jul 9 08:36:27 EDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Aaron Joyner wrote:
>
> > meeting, and the setup really is quite odd.  It seems that his static
> > IP gets assigned to the local interface, and a static route to a MAC
> > address gets assigned to the ethernet card - although I don't quite
> > know how DHCP is setting that up.

I don't know how to set a route to a MAC address from the command line.

Just tried this (didn't work) to set a route to a MAC address

my_machine:# arp -s IP_of_default_gw MAC_address_of_modem

when I use the IP of the default gw (which is in a different network
to any IPs on the machine), I get the error message "network is
unreachable" and the arp table is not updated. If instead I substitute
an IP in a network that is routable from my machine, the arp table
is updated.

I'm a bit flummoxed here. Assuming the modem is acting as a bridge
and the IPs on the other side are in different networks to the IPs
on your side, you still can't route to them, even if you know the
MAC address of the bridge?

Joe