[TriLUG] httpd2.0 hmmm

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Jul 13 09:59:53 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 09:55, Brian Henning wrote:
> Aaron: Are the directory permissions *really* correct? (paraphrased)
>
> Yep.  chmod -R a+rx public_html
> ls -l juicy bits:
> drwxrwxr-x user group size foldername
>
> ...tries something...
> DOH!
> Figured it out.  [D]irectory listings must be off.  The folder was
> empty, and I was expecting to see a folder listing instead of a 403.

That was the other thing I was going to suggest, if you were expecting
directory listings, but your previous e-mail said you were trying
"http://..../~username/something/index.html"  :-)

Directory listings are indeed turned off by default, but you can turn
them on.  Look for the section in httpd.conf that already exists with
something like:

<Directory /home/*/public_html>

Then add "Indexes" to the Options line.  My Options line looks like
this:
	Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec

Alternatively you could enable the Indexes for only a specific user or
directory if you wanted (should be clear how to do this).

--Jeremy