[TriLUG] Cary Swapfest Planning

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Jul 14 06:54:23 EDT 2004

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Aaron S. Joyner said the following on 7/13/04 6:15 PM:
>
>> I reworked an AFU Knoppix CD that boots to a default language of
>> English recently.  I have a CD of it sitting beside me on my desk as
>> I write this.  I spoke with Bill Geschwind (who has been attending
>> meetings regularly as of late) to see if he could translate some of
>> the manuals, etc that come on the disc for us, but I have yet to find
>> time to provide him with the materials.  :)  So perhaps later tonight
>> I can get those stripped off and sent to him.
>

> Sweet!  Aaron, you rock. :-)  Did you happen to keep a list of what
> you had to do?  That might be handy to know.

It's really super-simple to get that far.  There are even little win32
apps that will allow you to change the default boot language, etc.  The
next step is much harder.  The documentation is inside the compressed
file system on the KNOPPIX disc.  I'll have to open that up, change it,
and respin the compressed file system in order to change the docs.  Not
terribly difficult, just time consuming.

> 2) We try to figure out what control lines on the parallel port
>    (or serial port) the program is using and create a cable that
>    will work with that.

This is definitely the way to go.  There should be documentation w/ the
software on how to adapt said cable - if not, well that's the beauty of
open source.  The answer is right there, when you compile it.  :)

> Also, tonight at the Durham FM Association meeting they had a
> presentation
> on APRS (which we might consider doing instead of packet?!?) and I was
> able
> to borrow the antenna they were using there for use at the table.  It's
> a telescoping jpole in a coffee can with a variable air capacitor to
> help adjust the SWR.

APRS would be neat, but will we be able to get a GPS signal indoors?

Joseph Tate wrote:

> Have DVD Drive, will travel.

I also have a DVD drive in the box I'm bringing, so that seems like a
good choice of medium.