[TriLUG] Mail ???

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Jul 14 06:57:02 EDT 2004

Hugh Crissman wrote:

>I am running FC2. I am using evolution as my mail reader under X. All is
>good with that. But, I would also like to ssh into my box and read my
>mail with mutt. When I launch mutt it says no ~/mail directory exists,
>so I let it create one and it proceeds to an empty mutt interface. I am
>trying to vies the same mail and as I view when I am local and using
>evolution. What I am missing? I have googled around and read about
>mutt's .muttrc and postfix's main.cf (postfix is my MTA) config files
>but I am not sure I am on the right track. At this point I do not want
>to run a mail server, I just want to be able to ssh in and read, send,
>and receive just like when I am local using X and evolution. Thanks in
>advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Hugh Crissman

In order to help, we're going to need to know how you have Evolution
configured.  Are you reading from a local mail spool (indicating that
you have a local MTA, have setup Postfix to receive your mail, MX
records or forwarding, all that jazz - which it seems clear from your
statement that you didn't), or are you checking mail via POP3, or IMAP?
Once that information is available, we can point you in the direction of
how to configure mutt to read mail the same way.

Aaron S. Joyner