[TriLUG] Asterisk Newbie - FXS not working

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Jul 16 03:01:35 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 14:31, Matt Pusateri wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am in the process of testing wether or not I can integrate Asterisk into
> our office.  I got a TDM Developers kit and did a cvs install of Asterisk
> on Gentoo.  I got the FXO module working and can call in from the outside
> and get an automated greeting.  I have configured a extentsion for the FXS
> port and hooked a analog phone up to it.  But when I call in the phone
> does not ring.  Also when I pick the phone up, it had no dial tone.  When
> I call in from the outside I can request that extension and * tries to
> ring the phone, but then times out and I get disconnected.  * is not
> complaining about a misconfiguration of the FXS module, anbd I have the
> FXS module signalled as fxo_ks and vice versa for the FXO module.
>
> I am wondering if this is a cabling problem?  The FXS port is RJ45 as
> opposed to the RJ11 that the analog phone uses.  Should I make a special
> cable?
>

> Here is a sample of how the call comes in.
>
>  -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/4-1'
> Jul 15 10:46:40 ERROR[229388]: callerid.c:193 callerid_feed: fsk_serie
> made mylen < 0 (-46)
> Jul 15 10:46:40 WARNING[229388]: chan_zap.c:5027 ss_thread: CallerID feed
> failed: Success
> Jul 15 10:46:40 WARNING[229388]: chan_zap.c:5069 ss_thread: CallerID
> returned with error on channel 'Zap/4-1'
>     -- Executing Wait("Zap/4-1", "2") in new stack
>     -- Executing Answer("Zap/4-1", "") in new stack
>     -- Executing DigitTimeout("Zap/4-1", "5") in new stack
>     -- Set Digit Timeout to 5
>     -- Executing ResponseTimeout("Zap/4-1", "10") in new stack
>     -- Set Response Timeout to 10
>     -- Executing BackGround("Zap/4-1", "demo-congrats") in new stack --
> Playing 'demo-congrats' (language 'en')
>   == CDR updated on Zap/4-1
>     -- Executing Dial("Zap/4-1", "Zap/1|20") in new stack
>     -- Called 1
>     -- Zap/1-1 is ringing
>     -- Zap/1-1 is ringing
>     -- Zap/1-1 is ringing
>     -- Zap/1-1 is ringing
>     -- Zap/1-1 is ringing
>     -- Nobody picked up in 20000 ms
>     -- Hungup 'Zap/1-1'
>     -- Executing Hangup("Zap/4-1", "") in new stack
>   == Spawn extension (default, 4545, 2) exited non-zero on 'Zap/4-1'
>

> Thanks for any advice
>
> Matt Pusateri

Do you have a volt meter you can hook up to it?  You could build a
connector with open wires and test for voltage across the wiring pairs.
You should get something across one of the pairs, and that voltage
should shoot up when the phone is "ringing".

If you're not getting voltage, then either the device is not configured
correctly or it's faulty.  Since the configuration of these devices is
well documented and fairly fool proof (if you follow the examples on the
digium site), I'm guessing that you compiled everything properly - still
you might want to try it on a RH9 (or Fedora Core) system to see if that
works better.

I've never installed Zaptel on a Gentoo system.

Jon Carnes