[TriLUG] USB keychains and private keys

Brian Weaver brianweaver at nc.rr.com
Sat Jul 17 01:00:41 EDT 2004

I use a USB keychain to store my OpenSSH keys that I use on Linux and my
Mac. SSH always gripes about the damn file permissions so I just created
a shell function to take care of the problem for me. I don't have it on
hand, but it's something like:

sshforceadd() {
	local rc=1
	local file="$1"
	if [ -n "$file" -a -f "$file" ] ; then
		local bn=`basename "$file"`
		touch /var/tmp/$bn
		chmod 0600 /var/tmp/$bn
		cat "$file" > /var/tmp/$bn
		ssh-add /var/tmp/$bn ; rc=$?
		rm -f /var/tmp/$bn
	fi
	return $rc
}

This way I don't have to worry about the mount permissions.

-Weave