[TriLUG] Any NAS recommendations: Linux & Windows in harmony

Glen Ford gford at idiom.com
Sat Jul 17 13:26:34 EDT 2004

Stephen Joyce wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Jul 2004, Glen Ford wrote:
>

>>Anyone on the list have any practical experiences with using NAS with
>>Linux and Widows clients?
>>I have been reading vendor write-ups  and am now looking for someone
>>real life experiences with buying/installing/administering.... NAS for a
>>Linux/Windoz environment.
>>Also is there a way to logically group NAS units?  Say I have 3 units @
>>1TB each; Can I logically group these to create a mount point that has 3TB?
>>

>>Thanks,
>>/glen
>>

>Glen,
>
>http://www.openafs.org
>
>It's not NAS, but then I don't think you'll find what you want in NAS...
>
>Cheers,
>Stephen
>--
>Stephen Joyce
>Systems Administrator                                            P A N I C
>Physics & Astronomy Department                         Physics & Astronomy
>University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill         Network Infrastructure
>voice: (919) 962-7214                                        and Computing
>fax: (919) 962-0480                               http://www.panic.unc.edu
>
>"There's some joke making it around about some mathematician
>that said that 1000 chimpanzees in 1000 years sitting at
>1000 typewriters would eventually write the works of
>Shakespeare. And the snap around the joke is that the Web
>proves this is not so."
>
>               --- Kurt Vonnegut about the Internet
>               in "Vonnegut's Timequake; All Things Considered,
>               September 22, 1997; National Public Radio"

Stephen,

    Did quick read of ASF FAQ.

1. Do not get a warm and fuzzy about its readiness for primetime.
2. Seems like more admin overhead than NAS. Of course me not being an
NAS expert does not put me on good footing. I would saw I am looking for
storage that is not O/S dependent and allows for ease of adding
additional storage.

Will continue to read ASF docs to see if it could work for my needs.
[Storage that is: O/S independent, easy to manage, ease of growth]

/glen