[TriLUG] Any NAS recommendations: Linux & Windows in harmony

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Jul 17 13:56:26 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 13:37, Glen Ford wrote:
> Jason Tower wrote:
>
> >i use NAS all the time, with all kinds of clients.  however, i don't buy
> >pre-made NAS devices, i just roll my own using a PC, large hard drives,
> >and linux.  inexpensive, fully serviceable, fast, powerful, flexible,
> >and (relatively) easy to administer.
> >
> >for example, one of my clients has a linux server essentially operating
> >as a NAS device.  it uses samba, netatalk, and nfs to let PCs, macs,
> >and linux hosts all access and share the same files and directories.
> >three client OSes, three protocols, one server.
> >
> >logically grouping seperate NAS devices is probably gonna be a little
> >tricky without some kind of global file system, i'm not going to touch
> >that here.  however using LVM you can add disks to an existing linux
> >NAS device to quickly and easily to increase your capacity.  just make
> >sure you use LVM on top of RAID (either hardware or software) unless
> >you're feeling mighty lucky.
> >
> >if you're interested, i'll be happy to build you something :-)
> >
> >jason
> >
> >On Saturday 17 July 2004 13:02, Glen Ford wrote:
> >

> >>Anyone on the list have any practical experiences with using NAS with
> >>Linux and Widows clients?
> >>I have been reading vendor write-ups  and am now looking for someone
> >>real life experiences with buying/installing/administering.... NAS
> >>for a Linux/Windoz environment.
> >>Also is there a way to logically group NAS units?  Say I have 3 units
> >>@ 1TB each; Can I logically group these to create a mount point that
> >>has 3TB?
> >>

> >>Thanks,
> >>/glen
> >>

> Jason,
>
>     I like your idea of buiding my own. I will need to do the math to
> see if it is worth my time(client's) to do so. I will use something like
> http://www.excelmeridian.com/products/nas_datanas_dir/dndir_2u.shtml
> as guide to pricing out h/w
>
> Ease of management/security is also consideration. The commerial NAS's
> often speak of a web interface. Again cost diff betwen buying and building.
>
> will continue to read/learn about NAS.
>
> /glen

Also take a look at the Snap servers.  These network appliances drove me
out of the Fileserver building business. They are fast, reliable, and
modular. Plus they have all the benefits that Jason mentions above.

Of course, if you already have some hardware to devote to a Fileserver
then building your own is the cheapest funnest route.

Jon Carnes