[TriLUG] Any NAS recommendations: Linux & Windows in harmony

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Sun Jul 18 14:27:08 EDT 2004

if you're really interested in setting this up yourself vs. paying big
bucks to a third party, there's nothing here that linux can't handle -
between samba, LVM, rsync, and a little scripting everything you've
outlined is entirely doable.  the trickiest part is probably setting up
the snapshots, but the combination of LVM and rsync should be able do
what you need.  some preliminary testing of that particular
functionality would be prudent of course.  the hardest part is choosing
the hardware - tried and tested scsi vs. less expensive sata.

jason