[TriLUG] Any NAS recommendations: Linux & Windows in harmony

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Mon Jul 19 06:44:37 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 22:46, Aaron S. Joyner wrote:

> >I don't think that you will get out of this "on the cheap" if you want
> >the kind of performance and reliability that you talk about.

Aaron mentioned Sun arrays, if you want truly large scale, as well as
sticker price, EMC is the way to go.  Not really!  We have an EMC
installation at work, run far, run fast.

I think that you need to spend a bit more time, perhaps you already have
on your own, to study the data and it's use, the problem will usually
narrow your answers down when enough detail is exposed.

If you have some real dough to use, then a switched Fibre Chanel setup,
with 2 systems and some disks that are presented as SCSI LUNs over Fibre
Chanel, will allow for a lot of good things.  Snapshots to a second set
of disks, mount the second set to the other system, then back it all to
tape from there, that provides great availability, but if you don't need
those disks around all night, then it's just bells and whistles that you
don't need.

Perhaps a hybrid is the best, SCSI disks for the primary, high
performance, etc, then the second set of disks for a snapshot as SATA.

Good luck, I think that it'll be a good bit of work, but fun at the same
time.

Kevin

> >>This would be large specialized databases

If you never see anything that offends you, you aren't living in a free
society

Kim Campbell - Former Canadian Prime Minister