[TriLUG] ssh trouble

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Jul 19 15:30:39 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 15:23, Jason Tower wrote:
> yes, you will almost certainly need /etc/shadow, and /etc/groups and
> gshadow wouldn't hurt either.  the encrypted passwd is stored in shadow,
> not passwd.

Jason, according to the HOWTO, all you need to copy is /etc/passwd.
This is because authentication should actually be done through PAM, not
by reading /etc/shadow directly.  But I don't know the details on what
configuration, if any, must be done to PAM to get it to work properly
from inside the chroot.

--Jeremy