[TriLUG] Floppy Lag

Marty Ferguson marty at rtmx.net
Tue Jul 20 13:00:43 EDT 2004

Jason,

It's how the file system on Linux works.  Everything is cached, and,
when Linux "gets around to it" the physical media will actually be written
to.  But considering how tiny a floppy is by comparison to the
(run xosview and look at the graph) enormous amount of cache availabe,
Linux doesn't sense much urgency to synching the disk.  If this bugs you,
then use the synch option in /etc/fstab for your floppy drive,
and Linux will emulate windows behavior.

Marty