[TriLUG] OT: Word to the wise about e-mail blocking on RR

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Tue Jul 20 14:08:26 EDT 2004

RoadRunner seems to have implemented a burst e-mail blocking policy:
last night I attempted to upload a few thousand e-mail messages to my
new gmail acocunt.  I unfortunately had the rr smtp server set as the
relayhost, and therefore each message (sent via GML
http://www.marklyon.org/gmail/) was sent through that server.  Well,
after about 1300 messages, the RR server started returning the following:
<snipped at example.com>: host smtp-server.nc.rr.com[24.25.4.90] said: 550
5.7.1
     Outbound Mail Refused - 24.88.244.72 - See
http://help.rr.com/outboundemail

I certainly wasn't expecting that.  Caveat emptor.