[TriLUG] dhcp issues

D. McLamb dmclamb72 at linuxmail.org
Wed Jul 21 08:40:05 EDT 2004

On my redhat system, I had to add the following lines to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to access the system via FQDN:

DHCPCPARGS=-R
DHCP_HOSTNAME=hostname

where "hostname" is the name of the local system.  Before, only the WINS name would resolve to an IP (NOT the FQDN) - this only worked because of SAMBA.  Adding these lines to the configuration of the network card and restarting the network service gave me access to the system via hostname and FQDN.