[TriLUG] dhcp issues

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Jul 21 10:36:46 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 10:05, Dan wrote:
> --On Tuesday, July 20, 2004 08:37:20 PM -0400 Jeremy Portzer
> <jeremyp at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Chris Bullock wrote:
> >
> >> I believe what you are looking for is dynamic DNS.  Windows uses its own
> >> protocol to talk to each other, meaning you dont even need a DNS server
> >> for a windows doamin to be able to talk to each other.  We attempted to
> >> get dynamic DNS working at our office with no luck.  However, we
> >> establish DHCP reservation and then put that IP and hostname in DNS.
> >> Resolves both ways now.
> >
> > What you say isn't wrong per se, but dynamic DNS "normally" refers to a
> > DNS zone set at an outside party, such as dyndns.org, easydns.com, etc.
> > This is commonly used to update your DNS record for a server behind a
> > dynamic IP connection such as cable modems or DSL.
>
> to be pedantic, what he said was correct
> <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2136.html>
>
> DDNS originally meant just that, making BIND and DNS work together.

Do you mean, "making DHCP and DNS work together?"

But I didn't say it was wrong, just different from the more common usage
of "dynamic DNS" today, at least on this mailing list :-)  .  At any
rate, it looks like D. McLamb had the precise answer.  I tried to find
that but it's not documented in
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt like it should be.  :-(

--Jeremy