[TriLUG] NFS performance issues

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Jul 23 08:24:04 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 06:32, Kevin Flanagan wrote:
> I have a problem at work, and I'm digging around for thoughts, here's
> the deal.
>
> AIX 5.1 system exports /tmp/whatever to the world, unrestricted.
>
> 2 Windows 2003 servers with MS Services for UNIX NFS clients mount that
> export.
>

> Performance is absolutely unusable.
>

> Here's what I have done about troubleshooting.
>

> - Another AIX system can mount that same exported file system, and
> performance is just fine.
>
> - A Windows 2000 system can mount a Linux export with the same SErvice
> for UNIX stuff and performance is just fine
>
> - The systems are all 1 hop on the network apart
>
> - The network guy is looking at all of the port settings, etc today
>

> I don't control the AIX system to get a lot more info, but the admin is
> a good guy, basic NFS installation, no tweaking.
>

> Anybody got any thoughts that don't include lighting the Windows systems
> on fire?  ;-) The app requires them.

Look at the default options used for each of the Windows boxen... You
might find a difference between the Win2000 that works and the other
two.

On the Win boxen that don't work try using the "async" and "no_auth_nlm"
options. Async is much (much, much) faster and no_auth_nlm tells the
Windows boxen that it really doesn't understand the file locking for NFS
so don't try (let the server do it).

You can find my primer on NFS (with some helpful troubleshooting info)
at:
  http://www.trilug.org/~jonc/nfs/nfs_nis_automount.txt

Good Luck - Jon Carnes