FW: [carc] Fwd: [TriLUG] Did you buy an APC UPS at the Cary Hamfest?

Hank Montgomery k4hm1 at earthilnk.net
Thu Jul 22 17:49:21 EDT 2004

While I am sorry if you think you got a bad deal, you should ALWAYS be wary
when buying equipment from non-commercial sources.  But I must respond to
some of the comments in your posting.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that "Just goes to show, there are quite a
many dishonest people in the world."  or that anyone was "taken in by his
sales in bad faith".  I find it much more likely that this was an honest guy
who found them somewhere in bulk and didn't know about any problems with
them.  I personally have certainly bought bulk quantities without checking
out the history of the product - especially if it is from a reputable
manufacturer.

It appears from the web site you referenced that APC will replace the
"battery unit" free of charge.

As described on the same web page, the problem is with the battery itself.
You can find batteries at just about any hamfest for a price that still
makes your purchase a terrific buy.

According to APC there were only 8 problems reported with these units -
quite a small percentage.

Since you were wary of the buy in the first place - did you get the sellers
name?  Have you contacted him?

And lastly  - if you still don't want it I WILL BE GLAD TO GIVE YOU $25
DOLLARS FOR IT.

K4HM - Hank