FW: [carc] Fwd: [TriLUG] Did you buy an APC UPS at the Cary Hamfest?

Brian Daniels bitmage at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 23 11:43:36 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 05:49:21PM -0400, Hank Montgomery wrote:
> While I am sorry if you think you got a bad deal, you should ALWAYS be wary
> when buying equipment from non-commercial sources.  But I must respond to
> some of the comments in your posting.

As must I.  First, you're responding to two different posts here.  I never
stated that I thought I had got a bad deal or that someone acted in bad
faith.  Pay attention to the attributions.  I posted as a caution to others
who might have bought the same unit and not know of the recall.

> It appears from the web site you referenced that APC will replace the
> "battery unit" free of charge.

Yes, and they are even nice enough to send a return shipping label for the
bad unit.

> As described on the same web page, the problem is with the battery itself.
> You can find batteries at just about any hamfest for a price that still
> makes your purchase a terrific buy.

No.  The problem has nothing to do with the battery itself.
"APC tested and determined that in limited circumstances the unit could
fail, causing potential overheating that may melt the unit's outer casing
and pose a potential fire hazard."

> According to APC there were only 8 problems reported with these units -
> quite a small percentage.

True.  But companies don't issue worldwide recalls lightly.  The nature of
the UPS is to be left on 24/7 and unattended.  This is not a device that
you want a fire in.

> And lastly  - if you still don't want it I WILL BE GLAD TO GIVE YOU $25
> DOLLARS FOR IT.

The whole point here is to remove the dangerous units from service.  Had
APC not been willing to swap mine, I would have disabled it (remove cord)
and disposed of it.  I'm certainly not going to compound the problem by
passing it on to someone else!

--Brian

--
Question with boldness even the existence of a god;
because if there be one he must approve of the

--Thomas Jefferson, Aug. 10, 1787

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at bellsouth.net
      http://www.eviloverlord.net