[TriLUG] Re: Linksys Wireless Access Points

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Mon Jul 26 12:18:30 EDT 2004

David A. Cafaro wrote:
> Not to much.  3 years ago I purchased a basic Netgear 802.11b router/WAP
> for a little over $150 (which was cheap for them 3 years ago).  It ran
> fine for 13 months, died, was quickly replaced under warranty (3 year
> warranty), and ran fine up until 2 months ago when I purchased a Linksys
> WRT54GS ($80) to replace it so that I could upgrade to 802.11G.  So far
> the Linksys router/WAP has run fine with no rebooting needed.  I would
> have gotten another Netgear, but I liked the idea of having the option
> of running a custom linux ROM on the linksys if I so desire.

I've had a WRT54G running in my apartment for 3 months now with no
problems.  I'm running a recent version of the firmware from Sveasoft,
but am considering others now.  Sveasoft has tightened up who they
will support and how you can get support from them now, and I'm not
convinced they've remained within the spirit of the GPL, even if they
are within the letter of it.

--[Lance]

--
  Celebrate The Circle: http://www.celebratethecircle.org/