[TriLUG] Serial pci card

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Jul 27 09:29:39 EDT 2004

Marvin Blackburn wrote:

>We need to put in a serial pci card into a system running either redhat 9.0,
>redhat AS 3.0, ES 3.0, AS 2.1, or ES 2.1.  We couldn't find any hardware
>listed on the compatibility list at redhat.
>
>Can anyone recommend a card?
>
>------------------
>Marvin Blackburn
>Systems Administrator
>Glen Raven
>"He's no failure.  He's not dead yet" --William Lloyd George

The standard answer is the Comtrol RocketPort series, or a Digi
AccelePort board.  From a quick glance at the RH hardware compatibility
list, it appears Digi has certified their AccelePort RAS 8 (a variation
on their serial cards that also has a modem chipset lined up on each
serial port:
http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagename=details&hid=968
Although it does not appear that the Comtrol RocketPort cards are
certified, they are certainly compatible with FreeBSD, and although I
haven't personally used them in Linux, I'm quite certain they're
supported.  Check here for more information directly from Comtrol:
http://support.comtrol.com/download.asp

Generally, the Comtrol boards I've seen have been cheaper than the
comparable Digi boards, and they are both fully functional.  The big
selling point for me for the Comtrol boards I'm familiar with, is that
they use RJ-45s built right on to the card (up to the 8J eight-port
model), so that there's no magical connector that can wear out, break,
get lost, etc -- and I can easily cable it right into my data center,
with long runs over CAT-V, etc.  Digi may offer cards like this as well,
but I do not have personal experience with them.  From looking at their
site, it looks like they only offer external "connector boxes" for their
cards.

Best of luck in finding a serial solution to meet your needs,
Aaron S. Joyner