[TriLUG] OT: cellphone companies in Raleigh area

Rick DeNatale rick at denhaven2.homeip.net
Tue Jul 27 17:07:56 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 10:27 -0600, Ryan Wheaton wrote:
> Although I'm not in NC anymore, I use AT&T out here in CO, and when i
> go home to visit (in raleigh and in NB) I don't have any problems with
> roaming or coverage.  Just make sure you get the nationwide plan and
> you'll be alright..
>
> Although, I did hear that AT&T's wireless services got bought by
> cingular, so all of AT&T's service plans will probably switch to
> cingular service plans in the next 6 months or so..

That's what I thought too, but then I read a few weeks ago in the N&O
that the AT&T wireless stores (and customers) in NC were being sold to
another company at the time that the Cingular buy goes through, because
Cingular is already here.

In addition I think that AT&T wireless is still running both TDMA and
GSM networks, and you have to pick which one when you pick your phone. I
got their funky Siemens phone which does both since I was traveling to
Europe frequently. One of my big gripes with the way AT&T does GSM is
that they lock your phone to their SIM, so you can't use a pre-paid SIM
from Vodaphone or one of the European providers, which have a
significantly lower per minute rate, when you are over there.  I believe
that Cingular does the same thing. Only T-Mobile does GSM "right," but
they don't have a presence here, if they did I'd switch to them.