[TriLUG] Linksys Wireless Access Points

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Jul 28 00:40:05 EDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> How much money to you have to spend for a SOHO style WAP that will stay up
> for months, years?

no-one has any complaints about the Apple Airport it seems

I looked up reviews of the Orinoco AP-500/600 and it seems to come with no
documentation.

I used a D-Link WAP (forget number) for a while but found it interferred
with the other WAPs in the area, which started working again when I turned
off the D-Link.

I've had 3 WAP11s that lock up almost everyday I use them. One of them was
dead after 6months sitting on a shelf. I have another friend who has had 2
die on him. I can't imagine having these survive a summer in the attic.
I'm leary of trying a WRT54G, despite it running linux with the problems
I've had. The WRT54G has the same lock up problems from reading the
linux-wrt54g mailing list, which they handle by down/up'ing the ethernet
port every few mins in a cron job.

I need to blanket a large area with access so will need 3-5 WAPs.  At
$150ea if I go to an Apple Airport, I'm up for at least $450.  What's
available if I go higher in price say to $500 for a single unit whose
hardware is not so comodity?

Thanks Joe