[TriLUG] UPS (was linksys stuff)

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Jul 28 14:45:07 EDT 2004

Jeremy noted:
> Nothing will be drawing any current, and therefore the batteries won't
die*.

Remember that the UPS's inverter is far from 100% efficient, which means the
inverter itself draws current when the UPS is powered on and operating from
battery power.  While it would take a long time, a UPS on batteries with
nothing connected *will* drain itself eventually.  Of course, this would
require a power outage on the order of many hours, but occasionally
electricians do drill through walls and sever utility wiring...

While I'm splitting hairs, I should mention that battery leakage (the
phenomenon of batteries gradually losing their charge as they sit on the
shelf) figures in as well, but in a negligible amount...

Cheers,
~Brian