[TriLUG] Getting router experience, CCNA, and equipment

Jim Thompson jimstigator at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 13:11:26 EDT 2004

> I am writing to:
> 1. Ask for advice on training path.
> 2. Look for short-term hardware to match training
> path.
> 3. Determine if there is anything on Linux I can do to
> help this.

For the CCNA, it's just my own opinion that you really don't need to
get crazy with hardware purchases. I used the CCNA book from Cisco
press as my primary study guide and the Todd Lammle Sybex guide as a
second reference.

Obviously, hands-on router experience is best (and it sounds like you
have some), but for study purposes for the test you can get by with
the relatively adequate router simulators out there, like the
"e-trainer".  From my own experience, the test was actually more about
network theoreticals/fundamentals than knowing every single "config t"
option.