[TriLUG] I want to build an HTTP Proxy for Home

David Rasch rasch at raschnet.com
Sun Aug 1 14:37:16 EDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 01:56:15PM -0400, Roy Vestal <rvestal at trilug.org> wrote:
> I want to build an HTTP Proxy for my home network. I'd like to use an
> old notebook I have lying around. It's a P-90, 40MB RAM, 2GB HDD. Not
> much of a machine, but for my use it should be plenty. I'm planning on
> using Debian stable on it simply because FC1/2 and WBEL are just too
> dang big and the notebook doesn't meet the requirements.
>
> Anyway, I was thinking of using Squid. Didn't know if anyone else had
> suggestions or experience that they'd like to share. Anyone know of
> howto's? I haven't check TLDP yet.

I think your thought of using Debin woody as a base is a great idea.  I
do wonder however, if the machine you're proposing will offer you much
benefit in the way of a proxy/cache.  If you simply want a proxy and a
method for accounting the web browsing in your household, then I'd go
ahead with that machine.  Otherwise it's going to have a very small
memory cache and probably have to do disk access for pretty much every
request.  I've found that you need at least 96MB to make a decent squid
proxy/cache without adding considerable latency.

David